Joy in Lesotho

Joy in Lesotho

Monday, July 5, 2010

A Rose by any other name....

It is a famous line from Romeo & Juliet... "What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

While I believe there is wisdom in these words I believe sometimes having your name changed can be a great thing - and very meaningful.

Just recently my name was changed... or to be more precise... I was given a new name: Mamosa. In the Basotho culture names are very important. Women in this culture are often given as many as three names in their lives... which define their place in life. Every Masotho is given a Basotho name and most given a Christian name as well. Upon marrying the bride's new family (in-laws) give her a new name. She might receive yet another name at the birth of her first child. So now that you know this cultural nugget of truth I can explain the meaning of my new name.

Ma at the beginning of my name infers "mother of" Usually this is used when someone has had a child or if there is a history of naming your first child after another relative. This then could mean that I should name my first child (should I have children) Mosa... as Mamosa means mother of Mosa. Now for the second part of my new name. Mosa means goodness or kindness. So Mamosa means mother of goodness or kindness. A pretty wonderful name! But I was curious since I don't have a child, and since I'm not married why I would be given a name beginning with "Ma"

The answer to that question was a huge blessing to me... this is how it was shared with me by one of my co-workers, Thoahlane. He works at the MAF hangar with me and was a part of the group who chose this name for me. He explained it like this...

Yes, although Ma means mother of it can also be used as an emphasis... we chose Mamosa for you because to us you are like the Mother of all kindness. It means we think you are the epitome of being kind and good.

HOW COOL IS THAT?!

I hope I can live up to this and I know if my Basotho brothers and sisters are seeing goodness or kindness in me then they are seeing Christ who is in me. It is a huge honor to have been given a name as that means they believe they know me well enough to give me a name that reflects who I truly am to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

MAF Girls Night Out

MAF Girls Night Out
Tangled & Dinner

Em's Favorite Pastime

Em's Favorite Pastime
She's now caught 4 in the house!

African Bull Elephant

African Bull Elephant
Closer than I recommend getting - 2 meters away

Lion

Lion
Enjoying some rhino in the shade